ATO support for taxpayers affected by bushfiresWith devastating bushfires burning across large parts of New South Wales and Queensland, the ATO has advised that it doesn’t want taxpayers to be concerned about their tax affairs if they’ve been impacted.
The ATO says it will help taxpayers sort out their tax affairs later.
Taxpayers affected by this disaster and needing assistance are encouraged to call the ATO on 1800 806 218 when they are ready.
Depending on the taxpayer’s circumstances, the ATO may:
- • give extra time to pay debts or lodge tax forms such as activity statements
- • help taxpayers find their lost tax file number (TFN) by using methods to verify identity such as date of birth, address and bank account details
- • re-issue income tax returns, activity statements and notices of assessment
- • help taxpayers re-construct tax records that are lost or damaged
- • fast track refunds
- • set up a payment plan tailored to individual circumstances including an interest free period, and
- • remit penalties or interest charged during the time taxpayers have been affected.
The ATO also provided information about assistance from other government agencies in Australia for affected taxpayers, available on the government’s Disaster Assist website.